So, this was an exceptional MG season as far as 'throws' are concerned. Don't get me wrong, I have caught my share of MG underwear, gigantic beads, and spears. I remember catching a Harry Connick, Jr. doubloon the year Orpheus started rolling and I had one that Dennis Quaid threw when he was in Bacchus. Am I really old or do people know who he is? He was famous once, I promise. I also remember chasing after some celebrity in particular one night with Jen, and I think we caught what we wanted, but it all happened in the haze of margaritas, so the memory is faint.
This year was different, very different. I selected my four favorite throws of the year and ranked them for you:
1. Bobble-head Drew Brees. I love this guy because I have never owned a bobble-head, it is a sort of old-timey toy, Drew Brees is awesome, and it is going to look so perfectly cool in Jamesy's room. Now, my friend threw this to me so it has lost a little bit of charm since it wasn't some random rider (or superstar celebrity) throwing it to me. It was, at least somewhat, a planned throw. Nevertheless, it is still #1 for 2010:
2. Autographed Reggie Bush Orpheus ball, for obvious reasons, is the coolest ever:
3. Drew Brees football, not autographed but thrown by Drew Brees himself after making direct eye-contact with me. How many people can say they caught a pass from Drew Brees? Not many I imagine. Sure, much like the Reggie Bush ball, this throw was arguably meant for the kids in the ladder I was standing behind, arguably, which is why I call it 'mine':
4. Muses shoe. I wish I could properly explain the rarity of a Muses shoe. I can liken it to a Zulu coconut, but it is not really the same thing. Shoes are mostly handed to friends of riders with thoughtful consideration. They take hours to make and vary in their charm depending on who is behind the design. I have three Muses shoes. I treasure each one. Each one was made for Luz and given specifically to me for that purpose. Last Friday night Christian was thrown this beauty by a cute, young girl who clearly did not design it for him. I am a little jealous (and that is why this throw is ranked at #4), but just a little since I get the benefit of displaying it on the mantle:
5. Rounding out the list is the favorite throw/catch from the perspective of a four and half year old. I wouldn't have guessed this was the winner, but I am constantly surprised by what I learn from Luz. In all of my years of MG I don't think I have ever caught a stuffed flower. I am not quite sure which parade these came from but to whoever threw them, "thank you, thank you, thank you", they have provided hours of entertainment: