Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Soccer Season

Fall soccer started last weekend and I somehow roped Christian in to coaching Jamesy's sweet little team.  They needed coaches, James needs every possible opportunity to run around and burn off some of the extra energy and C was going to be have to be out there every Saturday morning coaching Lucy's team, so I figured it made sense.  What I didn't really think about (or remember) is that coaching 3 year olds is a HUGE challenge and is much more like goat-herding than it is like coaching.  Needless to say, by noon on Saturday Christian was ready for a loooong nap.  The kids, however, loved every minute of it and were great sports about being out at the rather hot soccer field for over three hours.

James' first game of the season went well.  There is no real scoring at that stage so I have no idea who won, but he enjoyed being out on the field and only pitched a fit when we pulled him off of the field to sub in another player.  What he is lacking in sportsmanship he makes up for in athletic ability, quite the contrast to Lucy who is the inimitable sportsman (or woman, I guess) and a lovely example of a team player - so so so much heart - I have enjoyed watching her grow in her ability and appreciation for team sports over the past few years.  







3 comments:

Kitty Brown said...

Love this. Can't wait until next year when the twins start here and the cousins can swap soccer shirts!

Soon to be Mrs. S said...

Found you via the "next blog" button, stayed because I saw NOLA in your title (it's our honeymoon destination), and laughed when I read about coaching the soccer. We've recently been roped into being den leaders for our oldest son in Cub Scouts. Let me tell you, I've learned that third grade boys are just as hard to corral as three year olds. And here I thought it would get easier as they get older. Joke's on me, lol!

Julie Vaicius said...

Let me know if you need some NOLA insider tips when you plan your honeymoon!!