Sunday, April 18, 2010

School Fair

We spent a few hours today at the ASH Conge. I always hope that my kids will be like the other ones I see running around at school fairs - happy, polite, enjoying every minute of their time outdoors, appreciative of the fact that a fair is all about indulging a kid - well, except for the bloody mary booth and the wheel of whiskey - but you know what I mean. At any rate, I have to go into these things gritting my teeth because I just know so well how things will be. I don't have the type of babies that fall happily and deeply asleep in strollers, except for that one time at Jazz Fest when Luz was one and I don't have the kind of kids that really fall headfirst into all of the fun that fairs have to offer - at least not yet - James will probably be like that but he is still too young.

So, we started strong around 10 this morning - and I don't think I did anything different than any other parents out there - but by noon James was tired, understandably, and Luz was shrieking and unable to catch her breath after sustaining a very small injury which came on the heels of begging and whining and generally being somewhat rude and quick to tears. Forget about the spacewalks and pony rides and face paint and snowballs. It was time for us to head home and for a long afternoon nap. Maybe we will have better luck next year.






No comments: