Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Parenting F Minus

Remember this movie :


Of course you do.  Well, I do.  It was one of my favorite movies as a kid.  I remember wishing that one day I would find myself with a similar motley but ever-so-lovable crew, spelunking our way to a hidden treasure protected by crazy booby-traps.  To me, the movie was always part adventure, part daydream, part love story, mixed with just the perfect amount of drama.  But, it is a movie for older kids, Mama is way too scary for 6 year-olds, and Sloth, forget about it.  So, you can imagine my surprise when I came home late from work the other night and found Christian and the kids sacked out on the sofa watching Goonies.* Even better still, you can imagine my surprise when they begged to watch it again tonight.  And even better yet again, you can imagine my surprise (and horror and concern) when Luz told me that her favorite part in the movie is when Chunk says "Captain Chunk says, 'let's get the hell out of here'" and proceeded to repeat it over and over again, cracking herself up.

Good grief.  This all happened about 5 years too early and to add insult to injury, it is the first movie that James has ever sat through from start to finish.  It is a parenting F minus for sure, but at least it is one I can blame 100% on Christian's poor judgment.

* It allegedly came in some bonus pack when he bought The Wizard of Oz for the kids last summer.   

1 comment:

Kitty Brown said...

Okay, so I laughed out loud. At least they have good taste in movies!!