Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Life Goes On As It Did Before

I can't shake the sadness and horror I feel about the mass murders on the Virginia Tech campus yesterday. I read every update I can find about the people that were murdered and the guy who did it. It is no secret that I tend to dwell a bit on depressing topics, I can't help it. I just get stuck and have trouble pulling out of funks that are induced by things so far beyond my control.

Yet again I had to remember the lesson that there are no guarantees in life and that we are all operating on borrowed time to some extent. I suppose I can believe that sometimes there are reasons why bad things happen, but it is really very little consolation at the end of the day. For now, my struggle is to remember that every second I spend with my friends and loved ones is valuable. I have to remember to make the valuable decisions whenever possible and to enjoy every beautiful second, as trite as it sounds.





Billy Bragg said it best, granted he was talking about war, but I think it is a universal truth:

"Everything in my life that I love could be swept away without warning. Yet the birds still sing and the chuch bells ring and the sun came up this morning".

No comments: