Thursday, February 21, 2008

What Spinning Can Do To You

I left work early today to stop by the doctor's office and get him to look at my throat and ear. I have had a 'mystery' sore throat that comes and goes every few days since my cold in the beginning of January. The doctor said that my ears are fine and that it is probably either a low-grade sinus infection or allergies (which he thought was unlikely). He says it is not uncommon for a sinus infection to last five weeks and that the reason why it affects only one side of my throat at a time has to do with what side I sleep on at night. I guess that makes sense, sort of. The good news is he thinks Claritin and nasal spray may get rid of it.

I was home unusually early tonight and brought and armload of work with me. Instead of actually getting some work done, however, I decided to go out for an evening run, probably my last one until the race. I have never felt like I had great afternoon or evening runs. I tend to get side stitches, feel lethargic, and suffer with the sensation that my feet are cement blocks if I run any time after noon. It was a nice run though. I had the side stitch to deal with and the cement feet, but I can't complain too much because I eventually fell into a nice rhythm. The park was beautiful and empty (because of the rain and the hour I suppose) and the water made everything seem very clean. It was a perfect run to end my training.

While I was out La Luz decided to spin to whatever music she and Christian were listening to. The spinning ended with a face plant on the door of the tv cabinet. I can only imagine the wailing. She bellyached about her bruise all night and only stopped when I threatened to put more ice on it. I think she is going to be okay but it definitely looks like it must have hurt:

Busy weekend up ahead - Scarlet arrives tomorrow for the marathon, Kitty and Tucker will be here for the weekend too and better be out on the race route on Sunday. Christian is off to Shreveport for a volleyball tournament so he will miss out on the festivities. If everything goes as planned he will be back in town Sunday evening just in time to take care of La Luz, because by then I imagine I will not feel like getting off of the sofa. I am nervous but super-excited. I have everyone lined up intermittently along the race route to keep tabs on me. Eyes closed, fingers crossed, here I go.


lindavaicius said...

Aunt Linda says....

I'll be thinking of you this weekend, have fun. I know you can do it! Poor Lucy, give her a big hug for me, that does look so painful.

Love to all,

Scarlet said... come the tears again! I promise -- I'll try not to be a constant water works this weekend. (That is, with the specific exception of the post-race hugs and photo ops with you sporting your medallion!)

TOITA said...

Hey!! All my best wishes to you my friend..I will be running next to you (my spirit of course!) and while you are in the middle and want to quit, think about me screaming at you!!! hahahaha! I want every single detail of it on Monday, picture included!!

My Lucy girl!! poor thing..the picture is kind of cute though! I guess she will be having many experiences like this in the future..

take care and OFF YOU GO!!!!


Mary Cox said...

You are going to do awesome!! Wish i could be there to see you run!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Julie- you can make it!


Kitty Brown said...

No worries, we'll be there to cheer you on!!! Can't wait to see you guys.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I sure wish we could be there to see you! Our hearts will be right be with you during the run. Please let us know as soon as you can get the moment to give us a call.

My poor Buttercup, please give her a big hug and kiss for us. I enjoyed listening to her phone call on my answering machine the other night. I hated to erase it. Best Wishes on your run! We love and miss you all!

Anonymous said...

ooo, i'm excited to be with you on the last 6!!! you are so awesome! love neets

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the race. Proud of you. Go girl!!!