Thursday, September 07, 2006

Don't Need aTicket, All You Need's a TV

Tonight was the season opener for the NFL. I know this because I chose to live my life with someone who claims he doesn't have enough free time to keep his car clean, yet miraculously manages three fantasy football teams (that I know of). Opening night went much as I anticipated it would for the Vaicius family. Suffice it to say, there wasn't much fanfare.


We were all happy to see that La Luz donned a pair of fancy new shoes for the occasion though.


Despite the new shoes, she still bristled at my affection, as usual. Although she is improving, she is still not exactly a cuddly baby:


The word is that she is starting to hold her own at daycare. Today she ate someone's lunch, stole another kid's toy, and scarfed down most of the animal crackers before any of the other kids could partake. Of course my child would be the one to eat all of the cookies. The theft troubles me a bit though.

La Luz, Loki, and I are off to Thibodaux for some more fresh air. I need it. I feel restless and sad. I don't know if it is sadness about New Orleans or about the country but whatever it is I want it to go away. My guess is that it is a combination of not seeing much to make me happy around here coupled with the upcoming 5th anniversary of 9/11. I am glad that our President has decided it is, finally, okay to put the people behind the attacks on trial but I am wondering why it has taken FIVE years to get to this point. I am also concerned about the "military commission" and the 'alternative' interrogation methods. I don't know about you, but I don't want any other country to use 'alternative' interrogatoin methods on my cousins, brothers, uncles, fathers, sons - you get the point. Why can't it be straight up Geneva Convention-style interrogation and leave it at that?

Maybe Christian is right, maybe football is bigger than I think it is and maybe it is cherished by so many becuase it is such a welcome distraction from everything that is bad. So, are you ready for some football?

No comments: