Monday, August 27, 2007

Home, A Four Letter Word

I am attaching a link to an audio file on NPR. It is a Chris Rose essay and, as usual, it is just so right. I have been careful not to get up on my soapbox lately. I have kept my mouth shut while the crime spirals out of control. I didn't say a thing when we learned that OT is not the man we so badly need him to be. Thoughts were never verbalized when I heard about the Jalila Jefferson sign a few houses away. In short, I have been quiet, but that doesn't mean that there isn't so much to discuss about the state of the city I love so much. Rather than bellyache, I decided that the way I will memorialize Katrina is to focus on the positive. My thanks to Chris Rose for helping me get started:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13966248

La Luz spent her afternoon and evening at Aunt Margot's house. Part of the fall schedule includes Mondays at Margot's. La Luz had an excellent time playing with all of Catherine's old strawberry shortcake dolls and watching one of the mountains of Disney movies that the Jones kids watched when they were little. The nicest part of the day was that Margot somehow managed, while taking care of La Luz all afternoon, to cook a homecoming dinner for Jordan. He arrived in New Orleans just a few hours ago and it was so nice to see him. It is hard to believe that he is finally home from Iraq. We all had a delicious and peaceful dinner together. It was a total treat.

Here's La Luz in her car earlier tonight:

1 comment:

TOITA said...

Hey!! Thanks for sharing this audio...I am far away from New Orleans, but that doesn`t mean I don`t love and miss my "home"..I feel part of that city and understand why people are still there and why so many of you returned after Katrina...So all my love and support to you all...and thanks for leting us be part of that...

Take care my friend...