Monday, March 31, 2008

Is It Me Or Is She Just Stubborn

The second half of this week is crazy. Christian and I will be out of town at different times and in different places. We will be in Thibodaux for the better part of the weekend and on Monday morning I have a hearing in Lafayette. I have a million things sitting on my desk at work that are in need of my attention and La Luz clearly needs it as well. We have hit a wall with her potty training and I just can't figure out a way over it or around it. The wall is that she refuses to go to the bathroom at school. Some of my good friends have confessed that they never once had to use a school facility. I find it hard to believe but also a bit reassuring. On the other hand, I know it isn't healthy and that she needs to learn how to do it. Earlier tonight, in a moment of frustration and weakness I resorted to another bribe. I told her that if she went on the potty many many times for multiple consecutive days I would take her to the toy store. At first she said that she would like to purchase an orange scooter with a seat on it and later, thankfully, changed her mind and opted for a new doll. Now I have to spend the rest of my night creating some sort of colorful and enticing chart that keeps track of her progress on the potty at school. I know it doesn't have to be like this. If I were at home with her every day there would be no pressure and no guilt. If I were here I wouldn't be worried about what school thinks about her progress, and here I am getting ready to pack my bags for another trip. I guess it will always be something as long as I am working and I will always feel like it is because I am working and not because I have the most independent, strong-willed, stubborn, headstrong two and half-year old EVER.

Stubborn or not, she is perfect in my eyes:


8 comments:

Susan said...

OK, Julie, time to buck up, your darling, beautiful daughter is not going to have a revelation at 18 and say, "I was not potty-trained properly by my mother." She's going to say, "I love my Mom, the lawyer". Or, then she could possibly say, "I sure would like it if she raised my weekly stipend at LSU."

NOLAcathie said...

It will always be something, regardless of whether you are working or not. That's just called "being a mom," and worrying never solves the problem. So, try to be more peaceful and calm just accepting that she's not quite ready yet, and that it really is no big deal. Without the negativity, I think you see that she'll be more relaxed about it and so will you!

Julie Vaicius said...

It is always nice to have some reassurance from veteran moms!

Neila said...

I am home with my kids. Camille has not once, ever used the potty. She has no interest in ever learning. She often tells me that loves her diapers.
It's not you, she's just stubborn!

Anonymous said...

When the timing is right it will be right! Her time that is and only her time. Keep on trying.
Love ya
Nana

Anonymous said...

maybe its a little bit of both of you and you both need to try harder.

Kitty Brown said...

Julie, obviously I have nothing for you on the potty-training, but Lucy loves you and you love her -- on the most important level, that's enough. I'm so glad that you're blazing this trail ahead of me! I know this may seem cheesy, but you and Christian are such an encouragement for us! I'm sure by the next time we see you guys, she'll be potty-trained . . . or not, and that will be a-okay too. Have a great Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

If the comment about both trying harder was aimed at me, I too am trying hard. I promise.
Last night I sat with her about 6 times as she went to the bathroom.
Ouch!