Thursday, January 04, 2007

Amazing What a Difference A Year Makes

Since it is the start of a new year and all it sort of has me thinking back to what life was like just one short year ago. I will save the discussion of Katrina because I have been thinking about it quite a bit lately and, frankly, just don't feel like mulling it over anymore. It is strange, though, that a year ago we were still living at mom-mom and pop's, still wondering what we were supposed to do next. Our flooded house was on the market and the first few offers fell through for various reasons so we had to just sit and wait and see if the house would sell before looking for a new place to live. I remember feeling completely frustrated, confused and a bit hopeless.

Here we are one year later in a beautiful, dry house (don't get me wrong, it has its share of problems - three of which were fixed today when the plumber came over) and life has again developed a routine around here. Tonight club volleyball started up again so Christian and I saw each other for a brief 20 minutes during the 'changing of the guard'. I have to admit, after last year there is something sort of comforting about having a routine.

Another big change is what has happened with La Luz over the past year. Everyone warned me that it would go by fast but this is nothing like what I imagined. It seems like I blinked once and suddenly my baby turned into a little kid. She can speak in sentences that are easy to understand, she can remember most words after hearing them once, she has no trouble associating the word with the actual thing, or feeling, or event it represents. She is great with her numbers, even better at the ABC's can sing portions of songs, has memorized some of her dvds (no we do not allow her to watch that much tv), has no trouble getting her point accross, ever, can follow most commands (as long as she is in the mood), and has a great sense of humor and compassion. I am enjoying this time so much and it breaks my heart to think that I will blink one more time and she might be a teenager.

Here we are on Christmas Eve last year


and now this year


I know it looks like it but I am not wearing the same outfit, exactly. I am amazed at how much she has grown when I look at these pictures and I am reminded, again, to cherish every second becuase I know it won't last.

1 comment:

Scarlet said...

Aunt Julie - you're so right - it's amazing how fast it goes with our babies! I love this post!