Sunday, April 20, 2008

Ring Toss Just Ain't Her Thing

Nana and Papa-T were in town over the weekend and brought some incredible weather with them. Once again, we spent most of the weekend outside, which is precisely what I love doing most on the weekends.

We met Mom-Mom and Pop for dinner at Frankie and Johnnie's on Friday night and ended up at La Divina for some gelato. I had a combination of sweet cream and Louisiana strawberry. It was perfect. La Luz had something called ping-pong. The selection was made based on color (oddly enough, it was pink she chose and not orange). I don't remember the description other than that it included red cream soda.

I woke up early on Saturday morning to take advantage of the incredible weather and met Gerrish for a long(er) run. After my run, La Luz, Nana and I headed to the farmer's market to pick up a few odds and ends and then drifted around the French Quarter a bit. We picked up mufelattas from Central Grocery for lunch and got home just in time to provide a much-needed break for Christian and Papa-T who spent the entire day doing yard work. The real purpose for the yard work was to get the back yard into a manageable state again, but somehow I completely lucked out and, at the end of the day, became the very proud owner of a vegetable garden. It is something I have wanted to do since we moved-in and something I have put off doing because I felt overwhelmed. My father-in-law has quite a knack for gardening and basically set us up with everything I would ever want in a vegetable garden and some simple instructions for maintenance. I think I can make this happen.

Nana and Papa-T left this morning and La Luz, Christian and I spent the remainder of the day at the Sacred Heart fair. We didn't win the tuition raffle but we had a great time. La Luz was not particularly curious about any of the games (other than the gigantic waterslide and I wouldn't let her go on it since we didn't bring a swimming suit and I just knew she would climb all the way up to the top and totally flip out) and had to be encouraged to do just about everything. She is not great in crowds and does not have a big sense of adventure. Even something as benign as a ride on the merry-go-round became anxiety-inducing for her as she became trapped in a tiny seat when she tried to exit the wrong way. Blue snowballs, chewy sweet tarts and a little bit of the Soul Rebels were more her speed, and I think I get it. I know a couple of people who react the same way around fanfare.

Here she is with Nana


and with Papa-T



She was heartbroken when they left this morning.

3 comments:

catherine said...

omg can you please post pictures of the vegetable garden? (i mean, i guess it's just dirt now...) yay! i'm so excited.

ummmhello said...

Oh I'm so jealous. Not only bc I loove LA and would move there in a heartbeat, but you've got a veggie garden too!?
La Luz is such a little darling, what a smile :)

Red Lotus Mama said...

You have to post a picture of the veggie garden.

Every weekend we visit with my parents and every time when we leave Little 'Ny has a minor breakdown. It is incredible how attached kids become to the grandparents. It must be because of how they spoil them!