Sunday, April 13, 2008

We Would Sing And Dance Around

La Luz is now obsessed with two of Christian's favorite things - Star Wars and The Beatles. It is almost unbelievable that both obsessions manifested this weekend. In addition to a few other things, the most important events over La Luz's weekend were watching The Empire Strikes Back on Saturday night and listening to The Beatles all weekend long. I should clarify, however, that the songs are limited to the ones that deal with animals and include her name and my name - so the choices are not many, though, relatively speaking, The Beatles wrote a ton of songs about animals.

We spent most of the weekend outside because the weather was perfect, even if a bit cold. On Saturday La Luz and I went to the Farmer's Market. Here she is enjoying a mango popsicle:



and some milk from Smith's:


Check out the beautiful irises.

We spent the evening watching Christian's last club volleyball game of the season. Coincidentally, the one volleyball game we made it to was the one game all season where Christian yelled enough to get a yellow card. Lucky us.

On Sunday I met Kelli for a long-ish run in City Park and we ended up meeting up with Christian, Mike and the kids at Russell's for brunch. It was great to get a good run in and visit with Kelli. After brunch we headed to the French Quarter Festival. It was packed, which was great to see. There is so much good music, so much great food and excellent people watching - and it is all free. It was the perfect way to spend the day.

Here's La Luz with the balloon sword at Jackson Square. The nice clown made her a wand, thinking that most young girls would like to have a wand. Unfortunately, La Luz saw a boy with a sword and flipped out and insisted on a sword too - I know that is Christian's influence.



She kept saying that she was "just like Luke Skywalker". Good grief.

We ended the day with a bbq at Gerrish's house, which was totally relaxing. I think I kept La Luz up way too late on a school night though. I hope I will be able to get her out of bed in the morning. She has been tough to get moving in the morning lately.

Christian and I went to dinner at Lola's and a movie on Friday night. Dinner was delicious, as always. The movie, Smart People, was sort of "meh". I knew Christian was going to hate it when he discovered five minutes in that Sarah J Parker is in it. I don't get what he has against her. She doesn't bother me in the least. Dennis Quaid was terrible in the movie. His character is miserable but somehow I felt like I would have enjoyed it more with another actor - not sure why though. The girl from Juno was great, but basically played the same type of role as she did in Juno so it was nothing new. Overall I give the movie a C and would not recommend it necessarily. Poor movie choice notwithstanding, the night was great. We even had enough time to swing by the book store so that I could pick up a travel guide to Seattle. Christian has a conference there in July so I am trying to plan a trip around the conference. We are thinking about including a trip to the San Juans/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland. I am starting to get excited about the idea of a vacation and traveling somewhere I have never been.

7 comments:

Scarlet said...

May the force be with my baby...

Anonymous said...

Casey and I saw Smart People yesterday too, and basically thought the same thing you did- not great.

Make sure you get in touch with my Mom when you are in Seattle. I know that she would love to see you and show you around!

-Luis

Anonymous said...

Not a sword...but a lightsaber. She is an "orange" JEDI.

TOITA said...

My little Lucy Skywalker!!! I knew she had it inside!! Well done Master Xian!!!
Jules sorry but you have tons of "skywalker souls " around you, so yo better join us!!
All right! An orange Jedi..just what we needed...

May the force be with Lucy....

Toi

Anonymous said...

Does she call it a light sabre?

ummmhello said...

As always, La Luz is just adorable. And she's got a twinge of bad ass, carrying around that sword!

Anonymous said...

UGH! Star wars, thats crazy.